As we have been studying the book of Philippians together Paul continues to stress the importance of unity by using phrases like “one spirit, one mind, side by side for the sake of the Gospel.” (Phil. 1:27-28) When you are seeking to “stand firm and strive together” it requires a level of deliberate introspection of your life so that you are living a life worthy of the Gospel of Jesus. The New Testament Church is called to celebrate this ordinance regularly in order that it might be a constant reminder of our union with Christ and unity with the body of Christ. Therefore, taking communion is an important part of life in the body. So, I hope you will take a few moments to prepare your heart as you come to partake in the Lord’s Table with your brothers and sisters in Christ this week. Here is a scripture passage to help you meditate on Christ and some examination questions to help you prepare your heart for taking the Lord’s Table this Sunday.
Scripture: 1 Peter 1:3-9
Born Again to a Living Hope
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
- Is your Christian walk filled with Hope?
- How well are you persevering during trials?
- Are you regularly seeking to find ways to rejoice in the work of Christ on your behalf?
- Is there any area of your life where the Spirit is convicting you of sin and you have not repented and sought forgiveness and restoration?
- What are some ways you can grow in living a life worthy of the Gospel?
- Do you have any unresolved conflict between another brother or sister in Christ? Have you sought to restore these relationships? (This includes your relationships in the church, your home, your friends, etc.)
Ask God to help you maintain the hope he has given to you through His Son. Ask him for forgiveness for any known sin and then praise him for the restoration he has provided in your relationship.