A resource from James Green (that was ripped off from someone who borrowed it from another guy!)
Paul Borthwick is a gifted speaker who has blessed the body here at Cape Bible Chapel a couple times in the past by sharing at our annual missions conferences. In his book, Leading the Way, he shares twenty six “sample” questions that he borrowed from Gordon MacDonald (the former editor of Leadership Journal) and uses to facilitate discipling relationships. I have used some or all of these questions as a jumping off point for almost every discipleship opportunity I have encountered since I became a Christ follower.
As we continue to be challenged to engage in making disciples who make disciples – take a look at this resource and see if a list like this would benefit you as you begin a new discipling relationship. I would add that in my experience -I have sometimes added a 27th question; asking my disciplee, “Did you just lie to me as you answered any of these questions?!”
1. How is your relationship with God right now?
2. What have you read in the Bible in the past week?
3. What has God said to you in this reading?
4. Where do you find yourself resisting Him these days?
5. What specific things are you praying for in regard to yourself?
7. What are the specific tasks facing you right now that you consider incomplete?
8. What habits intimidate you?
9. What have you read in the secular press this week?
10. What general reading are you doing?
11. What have you done to play?
12. How are you doing with your spouse? Kids?
13. If I were to ask your spouse about your state of mind, state of spirit, state of energy level, what would the response be?
14. Are you sensing spiritual attacks from the enemy right now?
15. If Satan were to try to invalidate you as a person or as a servant of the Lord, how might he do it?
16. What is the state of your sexual perspective? Tempted? Dealing with fantasies? Entertainment?
17. Where are you financially right now? (things under control? under anxiety? in great debt?)
18. Are there any unresolved conflicts in your circle of relationships right now?
19. When was the last time you spent time with a good friend of your own gender?
20. What kind of time have you spent with anyone who is a non-Christian this month?
21. What challenges do you think you’re going to face in the coming week? Month?
22. What would you say are your fears at this present time?
23. Are you sleeping well?
24. What three things are you most thankful for?
25. Do you like yourself at this point in your pilgrimage?
26. What are your greatest confusions about your relationship with God?